How should I use this medicine?
Take meloxicam by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or dropper to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Try to not lie down for at least 10 minutes after you take it. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not take more than you are told to take. Long term, continuous use may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
NOTE: This medicine is only for you. Do not share this medicine with others.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- Cigarette smoker
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery within the past 2 weeks
- Drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks a day
- Heart disease or circulation problems such as heart failure or leg edema (fluid retention)
- Hemophilia or bleeding problems
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Stomach bleeding or ulcers
- An unusual or allergic reaction to meloxicam, aspirin, other NSAIDs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What may interact with this medicine?
- Medicines for high blood pressure
- Other drugs for inflammation like ketorolac, ibuprofen, and prednisone
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- Blood in stools, urine, vomit
- Breathing problems
- Change in vision
- Chest pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Slurred speech or weakness on one side of the body
- Trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- Unexplained weight gain or swelling
- Unusually weak or tired
- Yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Gas or heartburn
- Stomach pain
This list may not describe all possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your pain does not get better. Talk to your doctor before taking another medicine for pain. Do not treat yourself.
meloxicam does not prevent heart attack or stroke. If you take aspirin to prevent heart attack or stroke, talk with your doctor or health care professional.
Do not take medicines such as ibuprofen and naproxen with this medicine. Side effects such as stomach upset, nausea, or ulcers may be more likely to occur. Many medicines available without a prescription should not be taken with this medicine.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.